The Limited Edition SCOUR TightMetal Pro distortion pedal can be used into a clean channel or as a preamp.
“It’s been almost a year since Derek Engemann began using Amptweaker TightMetals on tour, including the bass version in Cattle Decapitation, and the TightMetal Pro for crushing guitar tones in his black metal supergroup Scour. Derek recently approached us to do a version of the TightMetal Pro with Scour custom graphics, and of course we were excited about the idea. So we built some for the band, and now you can buy your own custom Scour TightMetal Pro for a limited time….only from Amptweaker.” –James Brown, Amptweaker
Since introducing the popular TightMetal™ distortion pedal in 2011, Amptweaker™ has received many requests for a two button version. Unlike most distortion pedals with boost, the TightMetal Pro includes 2 Boost knobs, one before and one after the distortion…..so it’s easy to boost the gain AND volume, for the perfect solo tone. There’s also a Midboost button that works with the output Boost knob, to help solos cut through the mix.
We also polled many customers who didn’t like the TightMetal, to find out what tone changes could be offered to reign in those other metal tones. The result is the Smooth Edge switch which cuts the high end sizzle for a warmer edge, and 2 Fat switches allow either the normal or Boosted tones to have a thicker attack with a bit more compression. There’s also a High Gain switch to select between Vintage sounding metal or heavier modern metal gain. The added three band EQ allows for much tonal variation, with its Thrash button for more traditional deeper scooped mids. Our standard noise gate from the original TightMetal is also included, with the hard stopping Chomp setting to help keep the rhythm as tight as possible…..especially when doing very quick riffs with a lot of palm-muted stops. Internal adjustments allow for tweaking the gate.
Amptweaker pedals are known for effects loops, and this one has 3: a universal loop, another active with the boost, and our popular SideTrak loop which activates when the pedal is OFF, to automatically shut off clean effects.
It can be used to add a compressor, chorus or chain of effects that only works when you play clean, or to switch to another distortion pedal to use for an alternate rhythm sound…all without having to hit more than one switch….it’s like having a built-in A/B box. A green LED alternates with the normal red one to indicate that the loop is active when the pedal is bypassed.
Another cool SideTrak trick is that if you only plug in the SideTrak Send, and don’t plug in the Return, then that Sent dry signal can be sent to another amp…..meaning you could have the TightMetal Pro going through a 412 halfstack while sending the clean tone to a Twin or some other clean amp. All this ability comes from two simple jacks on the side of the pedal!
A question we get a lot is, can the boost work by itself? No, the boost only works when the pedal is ON….and here’s why:
Since the boost has 2 boost knobs, one before the distortion and one after it. The gain boost is before and increases the distortion with only a little effect on the volume, while the Volume boost is after and increases the volume a lot. If the distortion circuit wasn’t in between, then the volume would jump very high and result in a boost for clean that didn’t make sense. The boost footswitch also turns on the boost loop, switches in a Mid-boost switch and a fat-switch underneath, and is EQ’ed to work right with this pedal…..if you tried to use it as a clean boost, it would sound too mid-range for most people.
This setup also makes it quicker to go from clean, crunch rhythm, to lead with only 1 click. If you’re on clean, you turn the pedal on to get crunch….but if you want to go from clean to lead, you preset the boost before you turn on the pedal. So it’s 1 click when you’re ready to go to a solo. If the boost worked separately like 2 pedals, then you’d have to hit 2 buttons to go from clean to boosted lead.
Standard Amptweaker features: LED illumination of controls, 14 gauge steel housing and true bypass switching.
“The Tight Metal Pro is the absolute perfect pedal for a traveling musician, especially for fly-in gigs. It’s reassuring to know that I can have my same tone on any amp that I plug it into. The effects loop/ lead boost is an awesome feature as well, in that I’m able to have all my lead tone pedals connected with just one button. When I switch it back, there’s no awkward decaying delay or feedback, which makes our breaks and stops super tight.” –Derek Engemann
- Dual Lit Boost controls via Boost footswitch
- 3 Band EQ, w/ Smooth Edge sw. and Thrash sw.
- 3 effects loops….Universal, Boost with Pre/Post switches, and the SideTrak loop that works when the pedal is OFF! Patch in clean effects
- Gain, Tight & Volume Controls
- High Gain switch for heavier tones, off for more vintage metal tones
- Noise Gate switch with Chomp™ setting for quick stops, with internal adjustment, tracks gain
- Added adjustable internal input noise gate for even more gating
- Mid switch with Thrash setting
- Mid Boost switch tweaks Boost similar to TightRock™
- Internal Fat switches for warmer Rhythm and/or Boost tones
- Can be used as a preamp, or into a clean channel
- LED lit knobs when using a power supply
- Battery disconnect switch with red indicator
- Runs on 9V-18V batteries or supplies–like ‘variacing’ your amp up and down, or similar to 50W versus 100W tone
- Current: 18mA with 1 or 2-9V batteries, 22mA with 9V adapter, 24mA with 18V adapter(adapters add knob LEDs….internal switch disconnects 1-9V battery clip
- DC Adapter jack, standard 2.1mm X 5.5mm, center ground(-)
- BATTERIES/SUPPLY NOT INCLUDED
- Magnetic Battery access door opens w/o tools
- Weight: 3 pounds, Dimensions: 5.625″W X 5″D X 2.125″H
- Handmade in the USA
- 5 Year Limited Warranty
Product Styling by Bob Hopkins. Mechanical Engineering support by Ken Chappell. Electrical & Mechanical Design and Tweaking by James Brown.……Conceptual Ideas by You.
swipe for other views